- Preheat oven to 400°.
- Line a cookie sheet with foil, spray lightly with cooking oil. Slice eggplant in half, lengthwise, drizzle with olive oil and bake until tender - 30 to 40 minutes.
- Brown ground meat with Mrs Dash seasonings. Drain if needed. Add crushed tomatoes, mix together, and set aside.
- In a skillet, heat a drizzle of olive oil over med-hi heat. Add peppers & mushrooms and garlic - cook until just tender. Remove from heat and add to meat & tomato mixture.
- Scoop out insides of eggplant halves. Discard any excess seeds. Dice up the insides and add to the meat & veggie mixture.
- Scoop that meat into the hollowed out eggplant halves and top each with 1 Tbsp Parmesan.
- Broil until cheese melts.
- Serve immediately.
Tuesday, January 8, 2013
Champion Nutrition Recipe of the Week! Eat Your Colors!
Eat your crayons! Ok, not literally, but consuming a diet full of color has enormous health benefits! Each color found in nature offers a corresponding set of vitamins, minerals and phytonutrients that can not only help us maintain good health, but also move us closer to reaching (and sustaining) our goals. Let’s add some color to your plate!
Chicken Stuffed Eggplant
Recipe by Chelle Stafford
Makes 4 servings
COLORS IN THIS DISH: Purple, Red, Green, Brown, Orange, Yellow, Black
Eggplant is wonderfully high in fiber, along with containing tons of antioxidants, and is known to contribute to a healthy heart and brain!
1 lb ground chicken breast (can sub ground extra lean turkey breast)
1/2 tsp Mrs Dash Garlic & Herb
1 Tbsp Mrs Dash Tomato Basil Garlic
1 can fire roasted crushed tomatoes (I like the Glen Muir brand)
1 medium pepper (any color) diced (or dice 3 or 4 mini multi-colored peppers!)
2 cloves garlic, minced
5-7 crimini (or button) mushrooms, sliced or diced
Drizzle olive oil
4 Tbsp Parmesan (fresh)
Nutrition per serving: 327 calories; 34 grams protein, 24 grams carbohydrate, 11 grams fat, 11 grams fiber. 13 net carbs.