Clean Eating Taco Bake
by Chelle Stafford
makes 12 servings
1 cup sprouted bean mix, dry (this is what I use), can sub lentils or other small bean
1 cup sushi rice (see note below)
water or low-sodium broth
1 can lowfat refried black beans (or black beans, drained, rinsed and mashed)
3/4 cup shredded cheddar
1 cup diced peppers, raw (use a variety of colors if you like)
1.5 lb chicken chorizo, cooked (recipe below note - do not substitute fatty pork chorizo)
1 4oz can sliced black olives
1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
NOTE: Sushi Rice - Some manufacturers actually label this as Sushi rice and you can find it typically in a container on the top shelf. You can also use Calrose or Jasmine. These will result in the "sticky" rice you need to make this recipe. Brown rice will not work. The high glycemic white rice is ideal for a post-workout/training refuel.
*This Chorizo is simply strongly flavored mexican sausage made from ground chicken breast. It is not the traditional fatty sausage made from pork. You can easily make your own using the recipe here: http://blog.recipeforfitness.com/2011/09/bonus-recipe-chorizo-tacos.html
- Cook rice/bean mixture per directions (I use a rice cooker on the white-rice setting). Rice/beans should be sticky, not fluffy.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees
- Spray a baking dish with cooking oil (I used a 12x8)
- Spread rice/bean mixture across bottom and halfway up the sides.
- Spread mashed black beans over the bottom layer.
- Sprinkle with half the cheddar.
- Spread cooked chorizo.
- Sprinkle with diced pepper and olives.
- Top with remaining cheese, then sprinkle on the cilantro.
- Cover with foil and bake 20 minutes. Remove foil and bake an additional 10 minutes.
- Serve or allow to cool and slice into 12 servings, wrapping each with saran wrap (or other wrap of choice), and store for later.
Per Serving: 233 calories, 20 grams protein, 26 grams carbs, 4 grams fat, 5 grams fiber, 208 mg sodium.