Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Has it been 6 weeks yet?

Impatient? Me? No!!!!!

It hasn't even been six days since my surgery and I'm already wondering how I'll ever get to six weeks! WEEKS!! I am so bored it's not even funny! And seriously, don't say funny... I got a giggle attack Monday night and O.M.G. There was nothing humorous about it. I'll get back to that....  Six weeks is the magic calendar measurement my doctor suggested for total recovery. Had I just done the chest, it would have been 3-4 weeks, but the tummy pushes it to 6. And ya'll know the tummy was really my major concern. I promised to be honest and share my journey, so for those of you who want to know.... keep reading.

So, let's start with surgery day, yes? ;-)

6am the hubby drove me to the surgery center where I got checked in, hooked up and readied for the O.R. I had a fabulous nurse, comforting anesthesiologist, and of course, the best doctor. He spent quite a bit of time with us, talking through everything again, making sure we were all on the same page (seriously, I've never had a doctor spend as much time talking - and listening - as this one!) then it was time for the black sharpie. I have no idea what he drew all over me, lol, but he was scribbling everywhere!

Seven hours later, I woke in recovery then was moved to the overnight facility. Bill, Shiloh, and Tabitha came for visiting hours, and then the doctor came in. He went over the surgery, then unwrapped my bandages to show us the results before the swelling set in - WOW!!! I am so excited! I have a flat tummy! I have a belly button! I have boobs! LOL! Dr. Cohen said several times that I had really great abs, but they were hidden by all the loose skin.  He said, "you'll see them now!".  Woot!!!!!  I know it sounds silly but that was such a vindication! I've worked so hard over the last 5 years, and the only time I ever got a glimpse of an ab was during my show prep. To know that they're really there, that my doctor saw them, called them "great"... it's an amazing feeling.

So Saturday I came home wearing my loose pj's, all my bindings, and my sexy circulation socks - you've seen them, right? Toe to knee, they're tight, white and ugly. Lol. I moved into my chair and began my new routine of rest, medication, hydration, and fuel. By Monday I could move easily, pull myself up and ease myself down, get in and out of my chair, go up and down the stairs... yep, feeling good. Now, I felt like I'd just gone through the world's most intense workout - chest and abs - but I felt good. Until I laughed at something Bill said. O.M.G.... OUCH. There was no escape from the excruciating pain. And then... I got the giggles. You know how back in school, a teacher would shush you and then you couldn't stop laughing? Yeah, it was like that. Tears streaming from my eyes, bent over double, each giggle followed by a cry/gasp. Not a shining moment in my warrior-like recovery.

No. I have not laughed since. The first person to make me laugh before my abs heal is toast. Oh, and for those of you taking  notes - no tear-jerker movies, either - the ability to blow my nose is suspended. Right now I can only huff through my nostrils. Pretty, right? ;-)

Food's been spot on and Clean Eating is helping me heal. I've been starting my day with my little chobani's (greek yogurt). Snacks are protein/granola bars and apples. Meals have been eggs/mushrooms with wheat toast or soup with wheat toast. And tons of water. Really, tons of water. I'm up and in the bathroom every hour on the hour. No exaggeration.

Tomorrow I get the pump/drain (yes, only one) removed, and then I can shower (did ya hear the angel's sing? cuz they just did!). I've been limited to sponge bathing which is awkward normally, but so much more so with a drain attached to my hip. I've handled all the heebie stuff pretty well (like the drain - which seriously wiggs out the daughters, lol), but one thing I was not able to do for myself is administer the blood thinner shots. EWWWW. Every day I have to have a shot. My wonderful, loving, patient, gentle husband has been dealing with this task each morning. Again, I say, EWWWWWW. I will be infinitely glad when that is over.

My life right now revolves around when to take which meds, when to eat, drinking water, switching the DVD discs for Alias, working on the computer, and resting. I do not enjoy resting. I do not enjoy resting. The highlight of my day is the late evening when I can abandon my chair (it looked so comfy when we bought it) and climb into bed to watch a movie or a show with my hubby. The glamorous life of plastic surgery, haha. No! No ha-ha's! Shhhh that!

And now it's time for another round of pills - and a bathroom break. ;-)
More tales from the recliner soon!
Happy Wednesday!


  1. Sounds like you're having a fabulous recovery! You definitely deserve it...and I can't wait to see the after pics! In all seriousness, you are my hero and when I grow up I want to be like you :) You have inspired me so much!

  2. Glad it all went well and you are home recovering. You will be back at it in no time! Give yourself plenty of time. Don't rush it! DO NOT rush it! As your personal blogland RN, REST LADY! ;)

  3. I'm so glad to hear you're doing great! We all knew you'd be great but it's still nice to hear it! ;) Chelle... you're gonna be able to see your abs all the time now!?!?!?! OMGosh... that's SUCH A BIG DEAL! I cried when I read that part! I'm so happy for you! <3